Saint Mary's School
In 1857 Father Joseph Biemans opened a parish school in a rented store building on Gay Street. The school was forced to close in 1861 due to the rigors imposed by the Civil War. Father Abram Ryan reopened the parish school in 1865. Father Francis Marron built St. Mary's School in 1874 when Immaculate Conception parish was only 19 years old and 17 years before the new church would be built. It was located on the eastern edge of Immaculate Conception's property. The upper floors contained space for a convent. The two story porch on the rear of the building was replaced by classroom additions in 1903.
Saint Mary's School was originally staffed by lay school masters who were replaced by the Sisters of Saint Joseph in 1875. In 1887 the Sisters of Saint Joseph were replaced by the Sisters of Charity. Then in 1896 the Sisters of Charity were replaced by the Sisters
of Mercy who staffed it until it was closed in 1969. In 1974 Saint Mary's School was
Top Picture - Saint Mary's School about 1905
Bottom Picture - Saint Mary's School about 1890